One issue I had with Windows 7 Media Center (7MC) was figuring out how to set individual rules for series recordings. It's easy (and well documented on Microsoft's website) to set general recording defaults for all Series (Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> Recorder -> Recording Defaults). For me at least, having a single recording rule for a every series I record is impractical.
How to set "Series Based" recording rules:
From The 7MC Main Screen: TV -> Recorded TV -> View Scheduled -> [Sort by Series] -> [Select Series] -> Series Settings
I was unable to find the steps listed above documented anywhere on Microsoft's Media Center site - either it doesn't exist or the instructions are buried in an obscure place.
After navigating through a maze of options, a variety of recording rules for the individual series become available:
- Show Type: Live, New, New&Rerun
- Channels: Any Channel, HD Only, HD Preferred, SD Only, SD Preferred, [X] Channel Only
- Airtime: Anytime, Around [X] Time
- Keep: Until Space Needed, Latest Recordings, Until I Watch, Until I Delete,
- Keep up to: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, As Many as Possible
- Stop: On Time, [X] Minutes After, When Possible
The settings above provide everything needed to fine tune series based recordings.